In the Netherlands we don't really do christmas. We do something similar twenty days earlier.
So at Newcastle airport they don't actually tell you which gate to go to? That's a new one. Because of my awesome airport intuition I ended up at the right one though; before everyone else turned up and formed a huge traditionally British line.


Of course then the Dutch trains were traditionally delayed...
but...
It's dinner! It has VEGETABLES and SPICES and is actually GOOD and HEALTHY for vegetarians. Should I send some recipes to Mary's kitchen?

One Sinterklaas tradition is to put your shoe in front of the fireplace. You sing a song to it and leave a carrot or something like that for the horse. Then in the morning... there are GIFTS! I got a toothbrush and some cinnamon candycanes.




Oh and then there was also brekfast! Actual YOGHURT and actual FRUIT! And actually drinkable TEA!

And lunch! Behold my sandwich with CHEESE.






Then we made 'borstplaat'. You melt cacao and sugar together and then my mum performs some magic chemistry.





(more turtles; these are... oh dear... Sylvie and Sophie?)


Playing Harry Potter Cluedo with a friend. She's coming to Birmingham next year!


More dinner! Traditional Dutch 'boerenkool'. Above vegetarian, below not-vegetarian.


(more turtles!!! The middle one is Sabrina, the other two I am not sure...)

And then is was Pakjesavond. At my grandparents'. These are the gifts; just without pulling a tree out of a forest to put them underneath. (Mind, we were 6 people.) Yay!!!

This is the food. (Hot chocolate and different kinds of Dutch sweets.)




Having last minute tea (the drink) with another friend.

Last lunch! Behold more bread with CHEESE!
(Can't believe I actually like it again after all these years...)








Great pictures, I think you liked being home, I hope.
BeantwoordenVerwijderenChris, your magic mama
Wow, that's so cool. I want Cheese, now! And I can't wait for Christmas...
BeantwoordenVerwijderenNice Country. Very flat. They actually don't tell you the gates at Newcastle? Good to know. And nice turtles. You should definitely bring some in 2nd year.
Oh, and it's Nicolas writing. Never mind my old account name.